A nine-year-old boy in Wynnewood, Oklahoma suffered severe burns after a pressure cooker explosion in his family’s kitchen on January 15, 2019. Nine-year-old Aiden Tuley, seen at Oklahoma’s News 4 wrapped in bandages in a hospital bed, is recovering now with the help of qualified medical professionals.
Pressure Cooker Explosion Injures Oklahoma Boy
Alongside his grandmother, Aiden suffered severe burns when the family’s new pressure cooker exploded. Aiden believes that his grandmother put too much water in the cooker. “It was like, all you could hear is just the water coming out and it came to attack,” the nine-year-old says, adding, “my nana puts too much water in there.”
Aiden and his grandmother say they were preparing beans on the night in question. The pressure cooker blew up, covering the two in scalding hot water and burning beans. Now, Aiden’s little body is covered in blisters and burns. His grandmother suffered 3rd degree burns, while Aiden is affected by 2nd degree burns. “It was hard,” says Aiden, who used to love helping his family members prepare dinner, “like you don’t want to experience the pain. Sometimes I can’t even hardly sleep. Like last night I was up until 4:00 am.”
Aiden’s mother, Maria Galvan, was exercising when she got a call about the accident. “I heard him say I didn’t deserve this and I knew it was serious and it broke my heart,” Galvan said. Maria says that parents and grandparents should do thorough research before bringing a pressure cooker into the home, because they can be dangerous.
“I wish I could just take it all back and know more or maybe even tell my mom not to buy that or get it,” says Galvan. Aiden has advice for people, too: “I would suggest at least using or making sure you have the right amount of water or release the pressure until there’s not even a little bit of air coming out and unplug it when you take off the lid.”
Thankfully, Aiden’s doctors don’t think he’ll be permanently scarred, just limited a bit in his range of physical activities.
Exploding Pressure Cooker Lawsuits
No reports have yet identified the manufacturer or model of the pressure cooker in question and, while Aiden and his grandmother believe too much water was added to the pot, it’s also possible that a malfunction of the pressure cooker led to the explosion.
A number of recent lawsuits have alleged that some of America’s most popular pressure cookers, including the Power Pressure Cooker XL, are defective. Coupled with recent pressure cooker and multicooker recalls from such prominent brands as Instapot, consumers across the country are finally waking up to the dangers of today’s pressure pots.
The Power Pressure Cooker XL
Despite high-tech safety features and plenty of buzz, consumers have suffered severe burns when the Power Pressure Cooker XL has unexpectedly exploded during normal use. Over a dozen home cooks have reported disastrous incidents to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, while dozens of other families have chosen to file personal injury lawsuits.
Alongside Tristar’s Power Pressure Cooker XL, consumers have raised serious concerns over the following pressure cooker models:
- Casa Essentials, Elite and Rapida cookers from Fagor America
- Tabletops Unlimited
- ELITE Platinum pressure cookers from Maxi-Matic
- Wolfgang Puck Worldwide
Our Attorneys Lead This Growing Litigation
Our attorneys have been at the forefront of this growing litigation, in which injured consumers from across the country accuse pressure cooker manufacturers of manufacturing defective products. In late-2017, our national alliance of dedicated product liability attorneys filed two multi-plaintiff lawsuits in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas, representing the claims of 12 different home cooks all injured by the Power Pressure Cooker XL.
As our attorneys argued in court documents, our clients were injured while using the Power Pressure Cooker XL under normal operating conditions. The lid of the pressure cooker, despite supposed safety features designed to prevent this occurrence, suddenly came off, even though the contents of the pot were still under pressure.
Our attorneys believe that a serious product defect undermines the Power Pressure Cooker XL’s safety features, leaving unsuspecting home cooks and their loved ones directly in harm’s way. Most of our clients were forced to seek out emergency medical treatment, after having suffered second and third-degree burns. Some will live with permanent scars forever.