It is not uncommon to see people getting injured after slipping and falling in the United States. Indeed, these injuries can happen to anyone, just about anywhere, and New York is not exempted. Such injuries can vary a great deal, ranging from a mere bruise to broken bones or even paralysis. It is imperative that you get information about the available forms of settlements. This is especially so because severe injuries can lead to devastating effects on your life, preventing you from being capable of carrying on your daily activities. The goal of a personal injury lawsuit is to make you whole again.
Benefits Of Hiring A Lawyer
Pursuant to tort law, if you can demonstrate that another person’s negligence caused you harm or injury, that person will be required by law to provide you with compensation. However, you may decide to settle the matter out of court. In either case, you will be required to provide clear evidence of how the other party contributed to your accident and injuries. It is therefore crucial to secure legal assistance when filing a lawsuit.
Types Of Settlements
If you are involved in a fall down accident, you may opt to settle your case through the “out of court settlement” or a “structured settlement”. A structured settlement is awarded to the injured victim through a court order. On the other hand, an out-of –court settlement, which is also known as a negotiated settlement occurs when the injury victim and the defendant’s insurance company come up with an agreement pertaining to the monetary award. In the event that you opt for this type of settlement, you will still require legal representation as the liable party’s insurance company will probably attempt to offer you the lowest possible compensation. An attorney will ensure that you receive a just amount of compensation.
In some cases in New York, the complainants have been awarded millions of dollars to cover their present and future medical expenses, as well as their pain and suffering.
Examples Of New York Premises Liability Cases & Settlements
- In July 2004, Mathew Harris broke his hip after slipping and falling in a hospital. He sustained further severe head injuries when he fell while trying to get out of bed after being given a sedative to help him sleep. This ultimately led to his death and his family filed a lawsuit against the hospital. The matter was taken to the Supreme Court where the hospital was found to be negligent, awarding Mathew’s family over $2 million in damages.
- In another lawsuit, a doorman received a huge sum of money in a settlement after slipping on a mass of pigeon droppings that covered subway steps. He was able to prove that he suffered severe and disabling injuries that essentially prevented him from performing his doorman duties. Subsequently, New York City was compelled to pay him $6 million in damages.
- In another incident, a train conductor had stepped over a pile of snow and slipped on ice outside his motel. Consequently, he suffered torn cartilage in his knee, requiring arthroscopic surgery. The defendant was found to be at fault for failing to put the complainant in a safe place, thus compelled to pay the complainant a sum of $942,000.
- In another case, Judd Daniel was awarded some $1 million after losing his footing on an unmarked floor in a steam plant restaurant. The said restaurant was found to be liable of failing to put up a sign indicating that the floor was wet after mopping. As a consequence of the accident, Daniels sustained multiple fractures in his arm in addition to developing an ailment that essentially rendered his skeleton susceptible to breaks and fractures.
- Visit the following page for more slip and fall lawsuit settlement examples where customers at stores, supermarkets and malls were injured after falling due to negligence: banvillelaw.com/slip-fall-accidents/store-supermarket/
Hiring Help Will Make A Difference
It is however important to note that winning a New York fall settlement is not easy. This is especially because you require substantial evidence to prove that the other party was responsible for your injuries. Beside, the burden of proof for these types of claims is relatively high. It is therefore imperative that you hire an attorney. This will significantly enhance your chances of getting a fair settlement.